YVBA 6 Grade Recreation Rules
Rules for the 6th Grade Recreation division are similar to club rules for serving and high school rules for net violations. We have BOLDED the rules below that are unique to YVBA and may be different than you are used to.
General Volleyball Rules:
- Maximum of three hits per side.
- A legal hit is contact with the ball by a player which does not allow the ball to visibly come to a rest
- Player may not hit the ball twice in succession (a block is not considered a hit)
- Ball may be played off the net at any time (serve or rally)
- A ball that hits the boundary line is “IN”
- A ball that hits the net antenna, or travels over the plane of the net on the outside of the antenna is considered “OUT”
- A player cannot touch the net with any part of the body while the ball is in play.
- A player may not cross under the net at any time (foot may touch the boundary line under the net, but may not go over the line)
- Player may step in the court a maximum of 6 feet on the serve.
- Server is capped at 5 points in a row. This results in a side out for opposing team, but does not result in a point for that team. (this is deigned to promote fair play at the rec level)
- Ball may be served underhand for a max of 3 serves per rotation, then must serve overhand in that service rotation. They get to start this over on their next service rotation.
- Served ball may hit the net and drop to the other side for point
- First game serve is determined by the home team, the away team serve the second game, and a “coin toss” or “rock-paper-scissors” determines game 3 server.
- If you start the game as the receiving team, when you win the serve you must rotate
- Matches are best 2 of 3 games
- First two games will be played to 25 pts, the third will be played to 15 pts
- Must win by 2 points.
- Games will be Rally Scoring (a point is scored on every side out)
- Team will rotate each time they win the serve
- Players shall rotate in a clockwise manner
- Players will sub in equally, play all 6 positions and sub out (see diagram)
- Substitutions will be made below the 10’ line, with one player on the court and the other off the court. Players raise both right hands together, and wait for the ref to whistle them in.
- #2 Position is always the setter (target)